The College of Medical Sciences was established in 1978 as a Medical School as an integral part of the University offering courses in two faculties of Medicine & Surgery and Basic Medical Sciences.
While the Faculty of Medicine & Surgery offered only the MB.BCh programme, the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences offered Anatomy, Biochemistry and Physiology.
The College has dramatically increased in its academic scope over the years and today there are changes both in the number of faculties and in its nomenclature.
Within the 24 years of the existence of the College, successive Provosts who have successfully managed its affairs have included the following:
- Prof. A. O. Williams - 1978 – 1981
- Prof. Irwin Samuel - 1981 – 1983
- Prof. Ed' B. Attah - 1983 – 1988
- Prof. Joseph J. Andy - 1988 – 1992
- Okuku (Prof.) A. A. Otu - 1994 – 1998
- Prof. Spencer Efem - 1998 – 2002
- Prof. Obiora Onuba - 2002 – 2006
- Prof. Itam Hogan Itam - 2006 – 2010
- Prof. S. J. Etuk - 2010 – 2014
- Prof. Maurice Asuquo - 2014 till date